...Our workmanship is never noticed 😉
Get a Price or Ask a question
Written February 11 2022
Drywall is made when gypsum is mixed with other material and then sandwiched between two pieces of paper, and then dried. It is used to cover framing on walls and ceilings within structures and is then painted over. Drywall can become damaged or have imperfections in different ways, and it is important to repair them right away. Drywall’s main purpose is to keep the insulation inside the wall without entering the living space of the home. It also keeps the wind, moisture, and pests from being able to enter the home. Essentially, drywall is a pretty important part of the structure of your home.
When the drywall is damaged or has imperfections, it allows moisture, pests, and inclement weather to leak inside the home. In Toronto, all of these factors are present, which can cause multiple problems at once. This can cause internal issues within the home, like rodent infestations, electrical problems, and even toxic mold. These are all serious issues, and a very good reason to repair the drywall right away if you notice damage or imperfections. Some homeowners may not even notice that there is something wrong with their drywall, as some issues can only be seen by a trained eye. Here are a few ways the drywall can be damaged or have imperfections, and how it can be fixed by a professional.
○ Holes in drywall are common can be caused by accidentally hitting the wall while moving furniture, kids roughhousing, or a door handle could puncture or dent it as well.
○ If the hole is small, it can be repaired by a professional by filling it with a compound and then sanding it down to make it flush with the rest of the wall. If the hole in the drywall is big, then a piece of drywall will be fitted in the hole, and when finished it will be flush with the wall.
○ If the paint is cracked or peeling between joints of trim, along the baseboard, around windows, etc then the drywall needs to be repaired. This isn’t a huge issue that cannot be fixed. It’s relatively quick and easy to fix.
○ In order to repair the paint cracks or peeling, a drywall compound is applied, and then a primer paint, and lastly a final coat of paint.
○ These are common imperfections in the drywall that can be caused by several things. Moisture, heat, or a combination of both can cause bubbles in the paint. Another thing that can cause bubbles in the paint are nails that have popped. This is caused by the shrinking and expansion of the wood. This can cause the nails to pop out of the drywall joints or studs.
○ Instead of replacing the drywall, most of these can be fixed by simply applying some plaster and sanding until it is flush with the wall.
○ When the drywall has water-stained, it has been compromised beyond repair. Painting over these water stains will not fix the issue, only put a bandaid on it. Water damage can cause the drywall to crack, peel, or grow toxic mold, and these are all serious issues.
○ Water stain damage on drywall will require a drywall handyman or company as it is important to have a professional do these repairs to ensure everything is fixed properly and there are no signs that there might be future damage or any lingering mold. They will repair the drywall by replacing it, and then priming and painting the wall.
Other than not being aesthetically pleasing to the eye, repairing damaged or imperfect drywall is very beneficial to the home. As mentioned before, it is dangerous and damages the integrity of the home if the drywall is not repaired. Water damage on drywall can build up copious amounts of toxic mold. Not only is this dangerous and can cause lifelong health issues for the people living in the home, but it is also extremely expensive to get rid of. Repairing the drywall right away will ensure the safety of the family, and prevent the homeowner from spending massive amounts on money.
In Toronto, the winters are cold and wet. Any damage or holes in the drywall will allow the cold air and moisture inside the home. This can make for uncomfortable drafts, and higher heat bills, as the hole in the drywall is no longer effectively holding heat inside the home. The damage could also allow pests to enter the home which could spread disease, and the pests could potentially ruin electrical wires and other such things that are more expensive to repair than a simple hole in the drywall.
Repairing the drywall as soon as possible is always the best route to follow. Some advantages of repairing the drywall are:
● Saves Money - Waiting for weeks or even months to repair drywall in the home will only cause further damage to the drywall. The biggest advantage to repairing drywall damage right away is that it will not continue to cause further damage. If the drywall is water-stained, there could be toxic mold growing which is very dangerous to breathe in. Depending on the severity, the average cost to remove toxic mold in Canada can be between $1,000 and $20,000 or more, plus the cost to stay somewhere else while the mold is being removed.
When there are holes in the drywall, pests can enter the home and chew on electrical wires. Where there is one rodent, there are many, especially if the hole hasn’t been repaired in a while, so it will be necessary to hire a pest control expert. In Canada, the average cost to hire a pest control company can be between $250 and $1,000. In order to avoid this extra cost, it is important to have holes in the drywall repaired immediately.
● Does Not Compromise Integrity of Home - When the drywall is damaged, it is weakened, therefore the structural integrity of it is less than ideal. Leaving damaged drywall in the home can cause the problem to spread, or ruin the whole wall altogether. Repairing the drywall right away will allow for a simple fix, and no further damage done to the home.
The process used to repair the drywall depends upon the type of damage done. Holes and dents are usually filled with a drywall compound and then sanded over and painted. This usually takes 2 days, as the drywall compound has to fully dry before primer and paint can be put over the top.
Water damage requires either plaster put over the top of the drywall, or complete replacement of the sheet of drywall. Depending on the severity of the water damage, this could take between 2-5 days to fully complete.
When repairing, the drywall handyman or company will make sure to be observant of nail pops and bubbling they can fix.
When drywall repairs are finished, it should be near impossible to notice the repair, and that is what Patchboyz strives for. We cover all drywall repairs, even the small ones. Many companies will push off the smaller repairs, which leaves the customer upset, and further creates more problems for the homeowner. We promise to give as much attention to small repairs as we do to large repairs.
All our employees are knowledgeable and well trained in drywall repair, and they provide excellent service with a smile. Every customer and the integrity of their home is important to us, so we offer an upfront repair cost without added fees and miscellaneous charges. What you are quoted upfront will be the final cost of the repair. Contact us for all your drywall repair needs in Toronto.
We're proudly Servicing Almost all of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
We're located at
3600 Highway 7
Vaughan Ontario L4L 0G7Canada [Toronto]
Phone: (647) 689-5954
See our other Toronto Articles
Proudly serving: Oakville, Burlington, hatlton Hills, Milton, Mississauga, Etobicoke, York, Davenport, Parkdale, Spadina, Toronto, Rosedale-centre, East-york, Toronto, Danforth, Scarborough, Ajax, Pickering, North York, Caledon, Markham, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Aurora, Witchchurch, Georgina, Bradford, East Gwillimbury and Oshawa.